Friday 22 March 2013

WHEN THE POST GOES MISSING

A friend decided to send me a cookery book from Finland as a present and I was really looking forward to getting it. I knew when she had mailed it, so it was just question of waiting for couple of days. But when I finally went downstairs to check the post, I was suprised to find a small box torn to pieces in the rubbish bin nearby. It had my name and address on it, but no book... 
  Since then, I have heard several stories from friends about parcels and letters which have never arrived through mail. It is not always safe to send anything from Italy to abroad either. If mail is sent to an office address, the chances of it disappearing are greatly reduced, I have been told. It is also wise to send any official, important letters by registered mail. At least you have proof that you sent it!

4 comments:

  1. And WE thought the U.S. postal service was bad. Is it thievery or inadequacy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it is thievery. I guess that they are hoping to find something valuable and then sell it. In this particular case the thieves were on the loosing side as I don't think that there is a huge market for Finnish books in Genoa!! I was hopping mad though.

      Delete
  2. The adventures of a foreigner in Italy ... often also for Italians living in Italy is "adventurous" ... I like this blog. Welcome to Italy !

    p.s. I'm sorry for the book .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bartolo, I just wanted to assure you that Italy has been a great experiece for us so far and this issue with the post is the first thing gone wrong! So, not so bad, really. I have also read some blogs of foreigners who have moved into my own country and I find it very interesting to observe what sort of cultural issues they find difficult, strange or amusing... I am glad you enjoy the blog - thank you!

      Delete