Tuesday 4 February 2014

MY LITTLE POT OF ESPRESSO

People, I know what you think. "This woman has been in Italy for well over a year and not - repeat - not made a cup of espresso at home yet." Iknowiknowiknow. But I have owned an espresso pot for well over a year and that counts for something. Today was the day I decided to use it for the very first time.
  In the beginning, I actually did not like espresso much. Too dark and bitter coffee for my liking. But the coffee culture in Italy is so addictive. At 10 am every morning I either want to go to a coffee shop and have a shot of espresso, often with a cornetto (brioche) - or I make coffee at home, usually an instant...
  Naturally, there are now very fancy coffee making machines in the market and capsules with different flavours so that you can be your own barista, but I like the shape and size of my espresso pot and prefer to make coffee this way. Especially now that I know how easy it is. 


I found excellent step-by-step instructions from this blog  www.thehungrymouse.com - so well worth checking it out, if you want some re-assurance on the actual process of making a decent cup of espresso. 
  There are couple of things to be aware of. An Italian friend told me that when making espresso in a never before used pot for the first time, you have to throw away the first cup of espresso because it often tastes bitter. Did that. The other thing is to make sure that you do not boil the water too fast or on a too big flame of gas. Again, the espresso will become bitter very quickly. You are also not supposed to peak inside the coffee pot all the time. Leave the lid on and the little pot will do its job. So, all this advice in mind, I set to make  a shot of espresso.


   I put cold water on the bottom part of the pot, up until the little screw mark. Then I added 3-4 teaspoons of coffee to the second part, enough to fill the small container. All that was left, was to tighten up the top part in place and set the pot on a moderate flame of gas on the stove.



 After couple of minutes, there was a bubbly sound. When that finished I took the pot off the flame and took a peak inside: there it was, my very first home made espresso. It tasted very good, too!!! Success!!





5 comments:

  1. 'Caffè phylosophy' by Edoardo De Filippo, Italian actor and playwright, in a scene of
    one of his commedies : 'Questi fantasmi' ( probably in a RAI telecast of 1955 )

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllQLj0h6mo

    Note: in the scene there is a different kind of pot: the Neapolitan one )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also if someone can't understand italian language ( and few words of neapolitan language) I think that the mimic is quite enough to understand the pleasure of a good coffee ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bertolo - oh my goodness, this was funny! I did not understand every word, but most of it anyway! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, we have one of these sitting on the shelf, and now I am going to put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely worth the effort!!

    ReplyDelete