Thursday 29 May 2014

DIET ALONE DOES NOT EXPLAIN ITALIAN LONGEVITY

I was recently introduced to an elderly Italian lady, who turned out to be the mother of a friend. She looked very elegant, not a hair in a wrong place, well dressed and slim. She was well over 70, but if she would have told me that her age is 60, I would have totally believed her. I also know another lady, who lives on her own, walks without any difficulties and seems to be in excellent physical health in general. Every day she leaves her apartment to have a walk, looking like she has just come out from a beauty salon with perfect make-up and hair. I was genuinly surprised when she told me her age: 83. Elderly Italian men also seem to be well preserved. My favourite butcher's shop is run by a gentleman,who I suspect is close to 90. 
  It is often said that the Mediterranean diet is the reason for longevity. Lots of fruity olive oil, fresh vegetables, herbs and fruit every day plus couple of glasses of red wine with a meal. A good, healthy diet is certainly a factor. 
  But there are other reasons, too.  
  Elderly people are an inseparable part of a larger community here. They go to shops, they stop to say "ciao" to friends, they talk in small groups on street corners every afternoon. They know everyone's family histories because in general people don't move very often but stay in the same neighbourhood several decades. They work way past official retirement age, especially, if it is a family business. 
  Ladies go to dance classes and walk up mountains. They might think about marrying again after 70. 
  Elderly people use local buses to the extent where all the seats meant for invalids are already taken by the most deserving cases and there might be elderly men and women supported by walking sticks standing. I have often seen an elderly person sitting on a balcony or watching out of the window to the street, observing passers-by. 
   When the time comes, I wish I will be like them: moving, shaking and passionately screaming one word - life! 







2 comments:

  1. Interesting article and the subject of long life is a very important. I live in Nervi also originally from California. Excellent articles.
    viviane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the article - thank you! Nervi is a beautiful place to live and I am not surprised that many elderly people choose to stay in this particular area.

      Delete