Monday 4 November 2013

A MOMENT OF PEACE WITH MUSIC

I recently walked in the area of Piazza Banchi in the centro storico. I have passed this place quite a few times while exploring the city, but not noticed that there is a tiny church, elevated on top of the shops. The doors were open, so I went in. It happened to be a bit of a grey autumn day, around noon.


Piazza Banchi and Chiesa di S Pietro.
As soon as I stepped inside the Chiesa di S Pietro I heard beautiful classical music and quite a familiar tune too. I have heard this piece before but could not remember the composer. It really did not matter. I soon felt totally at peace with myself and the rest of the world. Far away was the huzzle and buzzle of the street and the city.
  Curios about the history of this place, I picked up a leaflet in English at the entrance, where it was explained that the church was built during the second half of the 16th century on the ruins of another church. The original church was destroyed by fire. The architects, Taddeo Cartone and Daniello Caselle, modelled this new church on Basilica Assunta in Carignano.

There are beautiful frescoes just outside the entrance, up on the ceiling.






No comments:

Post a Comment